Sunday, March 19, 2017

Week 4

Week 4. Monday. 20 March 2017.

Exactly 4 weeks have passed since the surgery.

I returned to the gym yesterday, also went today. I mainly work out on the stationary bikes - which is easy on the toe as it isn't required to flex.

As an aside, I have never been into running - I believe the jolting puts too much stress on joints and that excessive running is not a natural form of exercise. Our hunter gather ancestors probably only ran when they had to (to escape predators or chase down prey) and would be aghast to know people these days run miles for entertainment. I can't believe it when cheilectomy patients write that they can't wait to start running again. As for me - I'm going to get maximum mileage out of this surgery by not abusing my foot. I prefer walking up hills to get a bit of puff going.

Enough rant - back to the post. Last Thursday I cycled about 20 kilometres to St Kilda for coffee. No problem. As I said before, the foot is fairly flat on the pedal which minimizes flex and pain.

I've also been doing quite a lot of walking - several kilometres each day. The toe is painful, around 3 on a scale of 10, but I can tell it is improving. I still have a very slight limp and this is enough to continue to cause me some pain in the thigh and hip from walking slightly unevenly.

The wound is healing well (see photo - taken yesterday). It is a little soft in a couple of places, so I have decided to keep it covered with a plaster for a few more days rather than have it abrade directly against a sock.


The toe doesn't have full flexion by any means, but I wriggle it around in the evenings. I am confident it will gradually improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment